1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

FTAnalyzer Download issue

Discussion in 'Family Tree Analyzer' started by Siobhan, Jul 3, 2013.

1. Bryman

Bryman LostCousins Megastar

I have been able to run FTAnalyser 1.5.7.4 and 1.5.8.0 but found a few problems so when notified about 2.0.0.2 I thought it best to download and run the new version. However, the installation does not even start - System Update Required.
    "Unable to install or run this application. This application requires Version 4.0 Full or other compatible .NET Framework."
    I have been using version 4 of .NET since June 2010 !!!
    I tried to reinstall .NET and the system performed a repair. After rebooting, still no joy.
    I deleted the existing .NET and reran the setup followed by a reboot. I still get the same message. What might have gone wrong?
    Any ideas how best to continue? I currently use Vista with all available system updates installed successfully.

2. trebor

trebor LostCousins Member

Unlike Bryman I did not get the .NET error message - I got a message about Report Viewer - are they connected?
    After finding the link shown above the install worked fine and all seems OK on first quick tests.

Are there any new features in this latest version?
    Thanks

3. Tim

Tim Megastar and Moderator Staff Member

Not sure what's changed in v2.0.0.3, but I'm loving the Export "Facts to Excel".
    Once its in Excel, I use filters on Names or locations, I've identified quite a few little errors and now fixed them.

Thanks Alexander.

4. Alexander Bisset

Alexander Bisset Administrator Staff Member

The issue was ReportViewer component which had been auto marked as a pre-requisite rather than being part of the new installer. The new version 2.0.0.4 should include report viewer and no longer warn about missing components. Apologies for the teething problems in migrating to this new method of install. In the long run it should be simpler for more users to use. Thank you all for your reports of issues. Hopefully my efforts to resolve them have been satisfactory. Apologies again for any inconvenience.

5. Alexander Bisset

For the curious, every time I "check in" a change I put in a short description of what the change was. You can see these changes here.

Most of the recent changes have been to fix technical issues with the change to the new installer. However some content fixes were to fix crashing FindMyPast searches, it now remembers the last search provider you used, and the census search location filter now understands to exclude US & Canada records if you are searching the UK census. I've also added tentative searching of US & Canada records at Ancestry but I've yet to test that as I don't have the full subscription. A friend of mine does however so I'm hoping to get it tested on his machine soon.

6. Tim

Oh yes, thank you.

7. Bryman

Thanks for help with installation. After removing all previous copies, the latest installation (2.0.1.1) went through just fine.

Files created from GR produce entries in Marriage column of Families Report but when similar data is processed from GenoPro the column is blank.
    Why is this? Could it be:
    1. GenoPro does not create the required records?
    2. FTA does not handle the records correctly?
    3. I have not entered the data correctly for GenoPro?
    I have tried to investigate further by looking at the Gedcom files using Notepad but that is very tedious.
    Do other forum members have favourite readers for files of this type?

I also need to get census information entered in an appropriate format otherwise most of the benefit from FTA would be lost.
    Where should I look for information on how to do this and in what form it needs to be entered, rather than my current free-form notes?
    I have not found anything appropriate for either GR or GenoPro.

8. Tim

To record marriage facts in GenoPro, you need to double click on the line between the couple.
    Under the Union Tab, Select the union type, the date, the place and any of the other info that you wish to enter.

I use Notepad and use CTRL F to find what I'm looking for.
    I also used to add the census data as Notes in GenoPro, in the comments box on the Genogram tab for an individual.
    However, adding CENS data can now be achieved in GenoPro. If you go to the following support topic start at post 31736, this starts to explain the process for you. You must have the latest version of Export to Gedcom Report Skin downloaded.
    The following post then describes the steps you need to go through.

I have attached a sample GenoPro Tree and a sample of the gedcom that it produces to demonstrate the marriage and also that the CENS fact is produced. The gedcom file can also be opened in FTAnalyzer to see where things get reported.

Attached Files:

9. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

I got the same error when trying to install the current version (2.0.1.1) but after installing the full version of .NET 4.0 everything worked fine.

10. Alexander Bisset

The old version worked with the .Net 4.0 Client Profile however it would have crashed when doing any of the web link stuff. The new installer checks for the existence of everything it needs before starting thus its a bit more annoying up front but works better in the long run.

11. Norman

Norman LostCousins Member

The new version was OK yesterday but today I get the error message below. The relevant part of the error log reads:-

Code:
    ERROR DETAILS
        Following errors were detected during this operation.
        * [13/08/2013 11:55:52] System.Deployment.Application.DeploymentException (SubscriptionState)
            - The deployment identity does not match the subscription.
            - Source: System.Deployment
            - Stack trace:
                at System.Deployment.Application.SubscriptionStore.CheckUpdateInManifest(SubscriptionState subState, Uri updateCodebaseUri, AssemblyManifest deployment, Version currentVersion, Boolean& bUpdateInPKTGroup)
                at System.Deployment.Application.ApplicationActivator.PerformDeploymentUpdate(SubscriptionState& subState, String& errorPageUrl)
                at System.Deployment.Application.ApplicationActivator.ProcessOrFollowShortcut(String shortcutFile, String& errorPageUrl, TempFile& deployFile)
                at System.Deployment.Application.ApplicationActivator.PerformDeploymentActivation(Uri activationUri, Boolean isShortcut, String textualSubId, String deploymentProviderUrlFromExtension, BrowserSettings browserSettings, String& errorPageUrl)
                at System.Deployment.Application.ApplicationActivator.ActivateDeploymentWorker(Object state)

Attached Files:

12. Norman

Norman LostCousins Member

An update:

Opened the old version (1.5.6.0) and was asked whether I wanted to update. Downloaded the application again (2.0.1.1) and re-installed from the FTAnalyzer.application file and this has installed and seems to be working OK. It's the in-place upgrade that had the problem.

13. Alexander Bisset

Yes this was a problem created by v2.0.0.0 through to v2.0.0.3 where I used a temporary certificate whilst I was waiting for a proper certificate to be created. It was a bit of a wait as I had to submit a copy of my passport and various other information to prove who I was. Once I got the proper certificate that proves I am who I say I am, I signed the code with that certificate. Little did I know at the time that would cause the in place upgrade to fail.

So anyone who has v2.0.0.0 through to v2.0.0.3 should un-install it and re-install a fresh copy from the website. This then should work with no further problems until the certificate expires in 12 months. However as I understand it as long as I pay to renew the certificate in time then it should continue to work un-interrupted even after a year.

I've now edited the instructions on the home page to try to make this clear. v2.0.0.4 onwards all are signed with the proper certificate so should have no problems.

The idea was to make the install process very very simple for the average user.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  14. Bryman

Thanks Tim. That is a lot more help than I had hoped/expected to get. My use of GenoPro is so much simpler than what some of these guys can dream up.
    I did not get anywhere near to thinking of using the Contact tab. I will study your references and determine how best to move my notes for several hundred subjects. Your sample Census Test is very clear but it looks like there is much to enter and will not be very quick/simple.

I thought my marriage data had been entered as you suggest so I will also recheck that and then perhaps find a more appropriate thread if I need to take this further.

Pity about Notepad. I had hoped that there might be a formatted/colour coded reader which would make searching/navigation easier.

15. Alexander Bisset

You can the editor I use Textpad it has a whole lot of custom colour codings you can use including one for GEDCOM.

To get the syntax highlighting to work copy the gedcom.syn file to the Textpad 7\system directory. Then start the program. Once started click configure then new document class to start the wizard.

Enter a name eg: GEDCOM, click next. Enter a "class member" this should be *.ged click next. Tick the enable syntax highlighting box and select gedcom.syn from the drop down list. Click next and finish to complete.

Now when you open a GEDCOM file in Textpad it will have syntax highlighting.

16. Bryman

Thanks for the suggestion, Alexander. I have followed your instructions and given Textpad a try but found it still rather basic. The coloured text helps a bit but I had been rather hoping for something to break up the many lines of text into more manageable chunks.

I created a 'small'ish .ged file from a test to investigate Tim's instructions for generating CENS facts and then manually inserted a few blank lines and leading blanks to see the effect of various amounts of indentation. I found this to produce a file which was much easier to understand and navigate around. If this had been 20 years or so earlier, I would have been very tempted to create my own reader/editor but I think that my 28 years of software development is now rather out of date. I would be happy to get involved in such a project but would need technical guidance from someone else more knowledgeable than me (other than you, who is already too busy).

By the way, my test of Tim's instructions took hours due to my inexperience with the environment and ultimately was unsuccessful. I did eventually get the required Skin installed and RESI facts were produced but no CENS records.

17. Alexander Bisset

FTA largely treats RESI facts and CENS facts as the same thing assuming you keep the "treat residence facts as census facts" box checked.