1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

From Ireland to America via Quebec?

Discussion in 'Migration and Travel' started by JimP, Feb 6, 2018.

1. JimP

JimP LostCousins Member

My 3rd-great-grandmother, Catherine (or Kathleen) Flynn, emigrated from Ireland and eventually settled in Gorham, Coos County, New Hampshire, where she married Iram Sydney Wells about 1860.

I haven't been able to trace her arriving through Boston. Given that Gorham is on the Atlantic & St Lawrence Railroad from Montreal to Portland, Maine, and which was a conduit for French-Canadians immigrating to work in the mills of northern New Hampshire and Maine, and because many Irish fleeing the potato famine also went to Quebec and Montreal, it seems reasonable that Catherine might have initially landed in Canada, and later made her way south.

Can anyone point me to ships' lists for immigrants arriving at Montreal or Quebec?

As for crossing into the US, previous experience with other branches of my family and with my inlaws who had connections on both sides of the border, records at the land (train) crossings are very incomplete, so I may not be able to find her entry.