1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

How You can Help Yourself to Taste Success!

Discussion in 'How to decide who to enter' started by Red Dragon, May 10, 2013.

1. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

It's important to remember that because of DNA (and especially ThruLines) far more connections are being made at Ancestry than ever before - but there are still only 7 days in a week and 24 hours in a day.

Even I sometimes take a month or two to respond to an enquiry from one of my cousins, especially if I'm going to have to do a significant amount of research in order to reply. Sometimes I forget altogether, so I really appreciate being sent reminders. Perhaps your cousins would too?

2. Pauline

Pauline LostCousins Megastar

I almost always send gentle reminders but I’m not so sure it’s always appreciated.

3. peter

Bear in mind that many users don't receive emails from Ancestry, and those who don't have subscriptions probably don't visit the site very often.

4. Red Dragon

Red Dragon LostCousins Megastar

Hi Everyone!

Here's a weekly update on how well people have been doing over at LostCousins.
    • 70 new members joined the LostCousins site
    • 13,146 new entries have been added and
    • 777 relatives have been matched.
    Always good to see New Members joining. All numbers are up this week which is great news for all of us. Always good when Peter announces one of his amazing competitions. I've even managed to add a few myself.

I also see that my Match Potential has increased to 18.8121, has everyone else's increased?

New Members mean New Entries, and New Entries mean New Matches. Everyone wins.

Good Luck Everyone!

Here's a graph showing the activity over at the Lost Cousins site
    upload_2019-12-27_11-50-20.png

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  5. peter

Excellent news! Although it only averages out at 7 relatives added for each forum member, so I suspect we could all do much better next week. I know that barely a week goes by without me discovering a new branch of my tree thanks to DNA.

6. Red Dragon

Hi Everyone! Happy New Year!

• 38 new members joined the LostCousins site
    • 11,465 new entries have been added and
    • 638 relatives have been matched.
    Always good to see New Members joining. Another week of impressive numbers which is great news for all of us. Always good when Peter announces one of his amazing competitions.

Unfortunately, thanks to DNA, I've had to remove a small branch of the family where the data I had at the time led me to an incorrect marriage and subsequent family. Thank goodness for DNA! I'm now on the correct track and should be able to add some more relatives very shortly.

Good Luck Everyone!

upload_2020-1-3_10-27-1.png

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  7. Red Dragon

Hi Everyone!

• 51 new members joined the LostCousins site
    • 7,967 new entries have been added and
    • 384 relatives have been matched.
    Always good to see New Members joining. Another week of impressive numbers which is great news for all of us. Always good when Peter announces one of his amazing competitions.

Good Luck Everyone!

upload_2020-1-10_10-5-56.png

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  8. peter

New members are the best sources of new cousins*. Have you invited your genetic cousins to join, using the CHRISTMAS code to give them a free subscription that lasts until Easter? (Only the ones you;re corresponding with, of course, I'm not suggesting you send spam messages to all of your Ancestry matches).

BONUS! As a forum member you can give the code to any of your known cousins (as long as they're researching their tree), but remember that it only works for new members. You don't have to use the Refer a Relative option on your My Referrals page, but if you do it'll help them get going (and save them time), so why wouldn't you?

* Obviously you're not going to find new cousins by inviting the cousins you already know, but other members will. So by helping your own cousins you'll also be helping other members, including members of this forum.

9. Red Dragon

Hi Everyone!

• 38 new members joined the LostCousins site
    • 6,254 new entries have been added and
    • 308 relatives have been matched.
    Always good to see New Members joining. So another week of impressive numbers which is great news for all of us.
    Have you made any matches?

Good Luck Everyone!

upload_2020-1-17_10-11-23.png

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  10. Red Dragon

Hi Everyone!

• 66 new members joined the LostCousins site
    • 10,418 new entries have been added and
    • 666 relatives have been matched.
    Always good to see New Members joining. All numbers up this week and another week of impressive numbers which is great news for all of us.
    Peter's competitions are always good for encouraging members to find and add relatives to Lost Cousins.

Good Luck Everyone!

upload_2020-1-24_10-29-42.png

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  11. Red Dragon

Hi Everyone!

• 43 new members joined the LostCousins site
    • 7,957 new entries have been added and
    • 525 relatives have been matched.
    Always good to see New Members joining. Another week of impressive numbers which is great news for all of us. The competition will be drawing to a close soon, so add your relatives for a chance to win some amazing prizes.

Good Luck Everyone!

upload_2020-1-31_10-49-16.png

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  12. peter

Another benefit of the competition has been the influx of new members to the forum - over 50 had joined at the last count, and I suspect there are many others who have qualified but haven't signed up yet.

But a reminder for new members that achieving the Match Potential of 1.000 that is necessary to join the forum is just the start. The next target is a Match Potential of 4.000 which will qualify you for the coveted designation 'LostCousins Star'!

13. jorghes

jorghes LostCousins Superstar

Is that how we get those... but mine is really nice and high (match potential) and I’m still only a “Member”, so perhaps there’s something else as well?

14. peter

See what it says on your My Summary page.....

15. jorghes

jorghes LostCousins Superstar

Not quite sure what you mean - it's been on 29.958 for a while now?

16. Bryman

Bryman LostCousins Megastar

Try reading the whole page and not just the match potential figure.

17. Pauline

Pauline LostCousins Megastar

And what's the next target after that?

18. peter

SuperStar currently requires a Match Potential of 12.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  19. Red Dragon

Hi Everyone!

• 46 new members joined the LostCousins site
    • 10,543 new entries have been added and
    • 521 relatives have been matched.
    Always good to see New Members joining. Another week of impressive numbers which is great news for all of us. And so the competition has closed with a last push to achieve a great set of numbers. Over the competition period:
    • 352 new members joined the LostCousins site
    • 67,750 new entries have been added and
    • 3,819 relatives have been matched.

Good Luck Everyone!

upload_2020-2-7_10-13-10.png

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  20. Tim

Tim Megastar and Moderator Staff Member

Hey Red, you forgot to say that the Match Potential has also increased for all of us because of all this great work by the members.

Well done everybody.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1