1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Military Prison Records 1939/1940

Discussion in 'Military records' started by Willibrod, Dec 31, 2021.

1. Willibrod

Willibrod LostCousins Member

I am looking for records on a relative that was in military prison 1940 . He was called up for service but went awol .
    He was living in London . He say that he was transferred from prison with other prisoners to the same army unit .
    I have obtained his army records .there is no mention of prison

2. the only records I can find are for POWs and he obviously doesn't fall into that category.
    If you obtained his army records from Ancestry you might find a more extensive record if you order from the GRO, see this link.

3. Willibrod

Willibrod LostCousins Member

I have his army service records . They begin in June 1940. His story was that he was called up in 1939 but went Awol during the blitz. Eventually arrested and sent to prison . In prison he met some professional criminals . They all ended up in the same unit .
    He had some great stories about their adventures during the war .

4. The official term for awol is desertion. I used the phrase 'uk military deserter records' in Google which presented a list of possible websites. I looked at the Courts Martial and Desertion in the British Army. Here. Reading through some of it I get the impression you may find something in Fold3 and I have a sub for that, if you want me to look send me a PM.

On re-reading your post I now get the impression the prison term was short, especially as he was able to tell stories about his adventures. Maybe it was a few days? in which case I doubt there would be too much on record, sorry to sound negative.