1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Is nothing sacred?

Discussion in 'General discussion' started by At home in NZ, May 6, 2022.

1. Somebody very dear to me died recently, their death and funeral are both in the profile of this person in my Ancestry tree.

Out of curiosity I Googled their name and one of the options in the images was 'We Remember by Ancestry'.

I've never come across that particular part of Ancestry. I'm a bit lost for words because I did not instigate the entry.

I know Ancestry think my trees belong to them but does it give them license to create records such as this??

This is the Home page of We Remember

2. Tim

Tim Megastar and Moderator Staff Member

Doesn't it say who created it? When you click on "About this Memorial"

3. Bob Spiers

Bob Spiers LostCousins Superstar

Surely Ancestry is merely the tool for the Memorial and someone would have to set about creating it. Are you not therefore in disagreement with the individual who instigated the Memorial rather than Ancestry? (Just a thought)

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. The more I look at it the more I believe that it was created by Ancestry because it is a starting point, it ask you to answer questions about the person's life.
    It is also difficult to find, I had to go back through my history in order to bring it back up.

A screen shot attached shows what it says when I click on "About this Memorial"

Maybe it will disappear if nobody answers the questions.

Attached Files:

5. Bob Spiers

Bob Spiers LostCousins Superstar

I noticed this on my Google start page inviting someone to create an online memorial

upload_2022-5-10_9-38-33.png ,

so this means that someone did indeed start the memorial and Ancestry provided the means to do so. When you click on it you are invited to GET STARTED and accept cookies...you can also view an example. So someone had to enter the details known to them, surely?

6. I made enquiries with Ancestry, I asked them where they got it from. The response is "was created from information on Legacy.com"

my reply to that:
    "Well that’s really interesting because a search in legacy.com returns a null result.

In any case I find this practice of trawling death notices by Ancestry quite ghoulish. I was shocked to the core when I discovered the We Remember entry for Maria.

Also, it is my view that if there is an existing perfectly good online memorial there is absolutely no need for it to be duplicated in Ancestry."

7. A response to thread #6:

They provided a link to the obituary in the NZ newspaper and went on to say:
    "Sometimes they display a way for users to create a WeRemember page, and someone clicked that, and that’s why the page exists on WeRemember. We don’t scrape or create memorials for all death notices.

WeRemember was created to Memorialize a person completely free without restrictions on the number of guests or content, free from advertisements, and visible in perpetuity without any fees.

The page on WeRemember has not been claimed, and I would be happy to remove the page if that would be helpful"

I have asked for the page to be removed.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1