1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

1921 census

Discussion in 'Comments on the latest newsletter' started by webwiz, Jan 11, 2022.

1. Britjan

Britjan LostCousins Star

Last year I paid £151.05 and to renew this year in October they are listing £159.99 paying from Canada . It's mainly worth it for the continuing additions to the Newspaper Archives and my WWI and WWII research.

2. Helen7

Helen7 LostCousins Superstar

I've just been taking advantage of the 50% discount to download some more images from the 1921 census (using the Lost Cousins link). I found my husband's grandmother as a live-in servant, her age being given as 14 years 3 months. She was actually 13 years 10 months at the time of the census, and thus probably should have been at school, as I understand the school leaving age was raised to 14 in 1918. I wonder if her employer added a few months to her age so as not to be seen to be employing an under-age girl. Or perhaps her mother had told the employer she was a few months older than she was. Her mother was a working widow, so presumably it was convenient for her daughter to leave school early and go into service.

3. Helen7

My great aunt was housekeeper to a man whose forenames are transcribed as Mary Frank, but the image is clearly Harry Frank. I have reported the transcription error by email without purchasing the transcript (as previously mentioned by Pauline).

4. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

It certainly happened a lot in the 19th century, although then it was usually a ploy to get a higher rate of pay.

5. peter

The price for new subscribers is now £179.99, and the Loyalty Discount is still 15%, so I would expect you to be charged £155.99

6. peter

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  7. Helen7

I've just taken advantage of the latest half-price offer for the 1921 census and come across a bit of an unusual schedule with a couple of apparently anomalous entries.

My relative's marital status is given as 'D' for Divorced. In fact, I know (from a newspaper report) that his first wife obtained a decree nisi on 1st June 1921 on the grounds of his desertion and adultery. So the divorce would not yet have been final at the time of the census. The woman with whom he's living (and has two children with) is described as his 'Wife' but also 'Single' (and under her maiden name). Also, he's filled in the section where married men, widowers and widows have to give the number and ages of their children. Does that also apply to divorced men, I wonder? Or did he consider himself married?

The cohabiting couple did marry early in 1922, after the man's divorce was finalised, and they went on to have a 3rd child 2 years later.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  8. Bob Spiers

Bob Spiers LostCousins Superstar

Perhaps a trifle anomalous Helen, but honest it has to be said. Having been through a divorce myself in the early 1970's a decree nisi was as good as an absolute without waiting for the tying of ribbons. If memory serves I think my nisi was c 1972 and absolute 73 and I remarried (and remain so) these many years later. Had the the nisi and absolute each been a year earlier, I would certainly have considered myself divorced at the time of the 1971 Census. I can also understand the 'wife' bit (I've lost count of the time I have found cohabitees labelled as both wife and married and know it not to be the case), so full marks for the honesty of a 'single' label.

As it happened I had two children from my first marriage, but they remained with their mother at that time and there were no children within my second marriage. If the 1971 Census required the same information as the 1921 (and it probably didn't) and -had it applied - I would almost certainly have owned to having two children.

9. Helen7

My relative had one daughter by his first marriage but she had died before her parents separated. The two children living with him in 1921 were those he had with his second wife before they married. If the newspaper reports are to be believed, his first marriage was very unhappy, with the first wife apparently making his life a misery. Interestingly, when searching for 'evidence' of his adultery (I gather in those days desertion or separation wasn't enough for a wife to sue for divorce), she went to the local registry office, examined the register of births and saw her husband named as the father of a child. The birth register gave his address, which enabled her to watch him going in and out of the house where another woman lived. Sounds very cloak and dagger! The newspaper headline was 'What Register of Births Revealed'!

Last edited: Aug 26, 2022
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  10. Stephen L

Stephen L LostCousins Member

In the August 2nd newsletter Peter reviewed Marriage Law for Genealogists. with links to Amazon to makes purchases that support Lost Cousins. He also mentioned Professor Probert's follow-up, Divorced, Bigamist, Bereaved This is the book to read to get all of the details of the relevant law at different dates and other issues such as changing numbers of divorces. It is excellent for putting what ancestors were doing into context.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  11. peter

I'm surprised she was allowed access to the register of births - these days you wouldn't have a snowball's chance in hell.

12. Helen7

Yes, that surprised me too! The divorce case telling the story was reported in the Rochdale Times of 4 June 1921.

13. Stephen L

Stephen L LostCousins Member

Do you think the algorithm applies the surname of the head to all in the household initially and then the transcriber should replace if different?
    I have found two households with people with that surname incorrectly applied. The first case was a married daughter and her husband, so effectively they both had her maiden surname. The second case was the first servant in the household. I have submitted corrections for both but there could be many more similar cases in the census as a whole, so maybe a lot of data cleaning is needed.
    The servant would be hard to find if someone was looking for her. The married daughter should be found by anyone looking for all relatives.
    It seems to be taking much longer for errors to be corrected on the site now.

14. peter

In my experience it's not always clear when surnames should be 'carried down'. I've seen examples where the householder was inconsistent, so that no logical interpretation would arrive at the right answer.