1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Discussion in 'Findmypast' started by sunflower, Oct 1, 2023.

1. sunflower

sunflower LostCousins Member

Am I missing something or not? I have to log in everytime I visit FMP whereas on Ancestry I don't, is this normal or am I not checking a box somewhere.

2. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

This will happen if you don't accept any cookies - it's the cookie that remembers you.

3. sunflower

Thanks Peter, I was not aware that I had accepted cookies but I will look into that.

4. Pauline

Pauline LostCousins Megastar

I have been finding of late that I frequently have to log in again at FMP. My cookie settings haven’t changed, and I can’t discern any pattern to it. Sometimes I may have to log in twice in one day, and then it might be several days before it happens again. It happens on both my laptop and my iPad, and about the only thing I can come up with is that maybe it’s something to do with switching devices, though it doesn’t happen every time I do so.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. sunflower

Glad it's not just me. I only use one computer and it happens just like it does with you. Not every time but most times. I also find their homepage a bit of a let down to how it used to be although that is not so important.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. jorghes

jorghes LostCousins Superstar

Ancestry seems to rarely need you to relogin... It feels like FMP asks me to log in every time I visit their page... even if I was there only moments before!

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. peter

If you are using multiple devices the results could depend on whether you are using the same browser and, if so, whether they talk to each other. If I remember rightly, with Chrome you have to be signed in on both devices (which you probably will be if you use Gmail regularly on both devices).

Some sites try to prevent multiple users from using the same subscription - that could explain what's happening for Pauline as Findmypast wouldn't know it was Pauline using both devices. This could also depend on whether you have a fixed IP address - if not, it might possibly explain sunflower's problem. IP addresses are often used to control access to in-library subscriptions.

8. Pauline

Pauline LostCousins Megastar

I use Chrome on my laptop (but I don’t sign in to use it), and Safari on my iPad. The IP address won’t change between devices, unless something unusual happens between my router and ISP, but that’s pretty rare. Anyway, it’s a relatively recent issue, and nothing’s changed at my end. I always have used the site with different devices, though never more than one at a time.

I gather from elsewhere that a lot of people have been experiencing this issue at FMP of late.

9. Stuart

Stuart LostCousins Member

I experienced this as a total switch - before, the site always kept me logged in for several days, afterwards it always makes me log in again after a day or less away. I always selected "keep me logged in" but that is no longer offered, and the user name box now blocks autofill prompts by the browser. The blocking I have for cookies is all waived for FMP's site. I'm not sure if the forced log-out is timed at 24 hours, or sometime overnight, or a bit of both.I've just looked at the user profile, and can't see any setting that disables staying logged on - the only recently new option is 2FA (which is turned off).

As to when it changed - I can't now remember (and I'm no good at that sort of memory recall anyway). As I remember it, the change coincided with some other changes to the site's appearance, but was before the new interface for the Newspaper Archive came in.

Incidentally (or not) I just logged out so I could see the login page again - and my login failed with an "oops" message. When I returned a few minutes later I saw logged-out home page, but as soon as I selected "log in " I found I already was. That suggests to me that something in being tinkered with.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. sunflower

Judging by the latest comments all of which ring true with me, I am convinced it is now a FMP problem or change that is causing mild annoyance to many of its subscribers.

I only use one device and have a fixed IP address, so all very basic. The loss of the 'keep me logged in' button seems to hold the key.

Thanks everyone for your supporting comments as it confirms that it isn't just me but something outside my control. I can live with that.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. peter

Just to clarify, a fixed IP address isn't basic - it's usually something you have to request, and some ISPs may charge extra.

12. peter

I seem to be the only one who never experiences this problem. Perhaps the reason I get don't logged out is because I don't leave the Findmypast site? It's always open in my browser, typically in about 10 tabs.

13. Stuart

Stuart LostCousins Member

So do I - except when I close the browser and turn off the computer at night. Is yours left running 24/7? If it's also the host - or part of it - of the site, then it would be, obviously.

14. peter

My computer is normally on standby when I am not using it - I only close it down completely if there is an update to install.

Chrome has a Startup setting - mine is set to "Continue where you left off" (since I regularly have over 100 tabs open), but that may not be the default.

15. sunflower

Peter, I did not know that, so you learn something everyday no matter how old you are.

16. peter

I've now had to log in at Findmypast.co.uk two days running - not sure why the change as I haven't closed my browser or closed down, though I may possibly have clicked on a link for a different Findmypast site.

Recently there have been many more server errors at Findmypast, so that may be another factor - though neither of the occasions when I had to log in followed immediately after an error.

17. sunflower

So it happens to the best of us then! I feel less inclined to think I was doing something wrong or missing an important step now. Thanks for sharing your experience.

18. peter

I found myself logged-out today - I don't know why. It's the first time in absolutely ages.

19. sunflower

I have been using FMP today and have experienced quite a few of the Oops messages, so maybe there is something going on at FMP to cause a bit of disruption.

20. peter

Findmypast is playing up today. Yesterday I got lots of Oops messages, and there have been more today, but I'm also being made to log-in quite frequently, sometimes several times.