1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Can Full Records Be Accessed online at the SOG?

Discussion in 'FamilySearch' started by elaineKM, Mar 9, 2024.

1. elaineKM

elaineKM LostCousins Member

Hi,
    I've just been listening to the very interesting talk by the SOG that took place yesterday. Unfortunately I wasn't able to actually listen at the time.

I picked up that the SOG is an affiliate library for FamilySearch. If you become a member of the SOG and hence log into their website, does anyone know if you can access the full records held by FamilySearch?

I have a number of FamilySearch records I'd like to access but my nearest FamilySearch affiliate library is quite a distance away and if SOG membership gave me this ability it would be very worthwhile for me :)

Thank you :)
    Best wishes
    Elaine

2. elaineKM

elaineKM LostCousins Member

Hi,
    I've actually emailed the SOG today and already received a reply. Unfortunately, you can only access these records via a computer actually sited at the SOG.

However, since all these records must be digitally stored somewhere and you can now see a very large quantity of FamilySearch original records via your own computer, why is there this 'dual level' of access? Or is it a copyright issue?

Best wishes
    Elaine

3. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

That's right. - the owners or custodians of the records may be considering making them available through one of the subscription sites. This was the case with Sussex registers which were briefly unlocked a few years ago (but only readers of my newsletter would have known about it in time).

Record offices have very few sources of income - it's understandable they would not want to give their assets away.

4. peter

Just to make clear, the locked records are not just available at FamilySearch affiliate libraries, but also at LDS FamilySearch Centres, of which there are 157 in the UK. However the opening hours may be longer at affiliate libraries - my nearest FamilySearch centre is 23 miles away and only open 5 hours per week.

5. Pauline

Pauline LostCousins Megastar

You can still see images of Sussex parish registers for free at FamilySearch. As far as I’m aware, they never stopped being available there.

6. David47

David47 LostCousins Superstar

TNA at Kew is an Affiliate Library and for most digitised records you can download to their system and then e-mail to yourself. Useful for Scottish censuses to 1891, Scottish BMD 1855 to 1875, 1881 and 1891, and copy wills 1858 to 1925.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 2
  7. peter

You're right - I was thinking of a different another county. The Sussex registers were hidden, and to an extent still are.