1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Shared Matches below 20Cms

Discussion in 'Ancestry' started by Pollycat76, May 30, 2022.

1. Pollycat76

Pollycat76 New Member

I persuaded a 1stC1R ( the last of his generation) to take an Ancestry DNA test to help solve an unknown common ancestor. However I have just realised that Ancestry only gives you "Shared Matches" down to 20Cms and ours would be much lower to be of any significant help. I have found some of the lower Cms matches to be very helpful in sorting out problems. Is there anything I can do, other than send my Cousin a long list of the relevant people with whom I share low Cms matches to see if they are included in his results ?

2. JFB

JFB LostCousins Member

I think you have done the right thing to get a cousin to test in this case, especially as he is the last of his generation. 1C1R is not a long way removed and could have up to 425cM shared with yourself. So don't be too pessimistic, you may still find the grail you are looking for.
    As for sending him a list of relevant low cM matches, it need to be very well targeted and you probably need to coach him in what to do. If you send him all matches below 20cM you would probably overwhelm him and switch him off for good. I myself have over 24000 matches from 6 to 19 cM, with over 90% of them in the USA, only 22 verified connections in that range, and many other hinted "common ancestors" where the hints are just rubbish. So you do need to be careful, but stick with it.

3. Tim

Tim Megastar and Moderator Staff Member

Get your 1C1R to make you a collaborator on their DNA account.
    You can then see all their matches and make your own determinations.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

If your cousin isn't interested in doing anything himself ask him to make you Manager of his test so that any messages come to you.

Has your cousin uploaded a family tree? This is very important because it will allow Ancestry to identify Common Ancestors - which are usually very reliable, and will save you (and/or your cousin) a lot of time.

Presumably you are following the steps and strategies in my DNA Masterclass? As far as possible you should apply those to your cousin's results as well as your own - unless your 'brick wall' is very recent most of the clues will come from matches that you don't share, even at the 8cM level.

5. Sue_3

Sue_3 LostCousins Member

That sounds like something I might like to agree with one of my matches - we don't know each other but their father was adopted and from what I can see about our shared matches I have a good idea who their grandfather may have been. If I could see their other matches it might clinch it. Will suggest this to them, at a time when I know I'll have time to focus on processing the data.

• Agree Agree x 1