1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Problems searching the GRO Online Index

Discussion in 'England & Wales BMD registers' started by CarolB08, May 23, 2020.

1. CarolB08

CarolB08 LostCousins Member

Hello folks
    Is anyone else experiencing problems searching the GRO online index today? Yesterday I was able to search the index for births to find the Mothers Maiden name but today it when I fill it in and hit search it just goes back to the blank form. I have cleared my cache in case its my computer to no avail, is there an issue with the web site or have I got a problem on my laptop?
    I should add this is using firefox 76.0.1 (64-bit) I just tried it with Chrome and it seems to be loading. I think firefox recently updated so maybe this is something to do with it.
    Thank you in advance
    Carol
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 23, 2020
  2. CarolB08

I have just refreshed and restarted firefox without addons and the page now seems to be loading correctly so I assume it must be one of my add ons I had, so to find out which one is the culprit.

3. It's nice to see somebody resolving their own problems. I must admit I don't think I would have thought of doing that.

4. CarolB08

I surprise myself sometimes :D the refresh restarts firefox with out addons and adding the ones I had in one at a time I was surprised to find it was my Mcafee secure search that was causing the problem which is annoying because I like to use that to check out sites before using card payments to check it is a legit web site.
    I shall have to make a choice I suppose. :)

5. PhilGee

PhilGee LostCousins Member

You could use Firefox "profiles" for differing uses - genealogy, finance, shopping, general .... I have 6 I use regularly, setup differently, and cookies etc are held in different folders, so no cross-contamination. I have entries in the menu with the -p <profile name> parameter to load the right profile.

6. CarolB08

To be honest I have not heard about profiles, where would I find them Phil ?

7. PhilGee

PhilGee LostCousins Member

I would normally use the command firefox -profiles but that's with Linux. The alternative is to use about:profiles as the web address, but the former is a much neater layout.

The easiest way to use them is to pin a firefox instance to the start menu and add the parameter -P profile-name to the command in the entry and also change the entry name (I have an entry Genealogy for the profile I'm currently using). The default profile is, of course, Default ie -P Default and may be used if no profile is specified (you can specify the default profile) or the profiles box will appear for you to select one.

The other parameter I use with some profiles is -no-remote which does not allow two instance of that profile to be active at the same time but you don't really want that with the default one, but probably do for finance :) .

The main irritation is probably having to install all the usual add-ons, such as dictionaries, in each one, but it should be possible (I have not tried) to copy or save/restore the default profile and modify it as needed, including setting different home pages, bookmarks etc for each.

Phil