1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Problem with FTM2019?

Discussion in 'Family Tree Maker' started by canadianbeth, Aug 13, 2020.

1. canadianbeth

canadianbeth LostCousins Star

Is anyone else having problems when trying to open FTM2019? For the past week or so almost every time I try to open the program I just get the 'application initializing' and the green lines going back and forth and nothing else. I have to do a restart on the computer itself and then, of course, am told that FTM has to close first. I can bypass that but when I try opening it again once I have done the restart I am informed that the program did not close down properly, yada, yada. Since it never opened, I fail to see how it could not have closed properly but I am used to that nonsense. I just want to know why I keep having this problem.

2. jorghes

jorghes LostCousins Superstar

Are you using it with a Mac or a PC?

3. Bob Spiers

Bob Spiers LostCousins Superstar

Tried in this morning on a laptop (Windows) and although it seemed to take longer with its 'application initialising' it did open after about 30 seconds with the message I needed to sign in to Ancestry which it normally recognises; and given I am using Ancestry on another device. I understand only too well about the message FTM did not close properly - given the times it happens to me - but mostly that is down to my own forgetfulness at following closing procedures. FTM is a real Prima Donna in this respect.

Edit: After authorising a 'sync' I left it to its own devices for a while and when I returned found the message Family Tree Maker was not properly closed...yada yada indeed - as I had not even attempted to close the program.. So I agree FTM appears to be throwing a 'wobbly' (misbehaving) and now I have to 'follow procedures' and perform a compaction. You have my sympathies.

4. PhilGee

PhilGee LostCousins Member

Do you have another file with a tree? If you do, what happens if you double-click that file to start FTM? It should load that file to confirm FTM is fine which could indicate a problem with your other file. If FTM is running you could try opening the problem file or if it still "hangs", the backup copy (which you do have, of course - I often forget!) which may overwrite the problem file - I have not tested that aspect.

Edit: you could probably use a GEDCOM instead to check FTM.

Phil