1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Can't Sync

Discussion in 'Family Tree Maker' started by val61, Jan 21, 2024.

1. val61

val61 LostCousins Member

Good Morning All. I have been trying to Sync my Ancestry Tree and FTM for a few weeks. Without Success. I have followed all the advice from the FTM Companion Guid. Talked to FTM who say that from my Sync Log error, there a person that is preventing the Sync but the log does not give detail. Ancestry have tried their best but do not have access to Mackiev. (That is good for security for us all). Ancestry have said to download their tree and upload it after. But surely the error will still be there? I am not techie, frightened to just push buttons, and am stumped. Does anybody have any ideas on this problem? Many thanks for any help.

2. Tim

Tim Megastar and Moderator Staff Member

Is Ancestry your master record or is FTM?

By removing one of the records and then downloading it to the other system will fix your issue, the error will be removed. It sounds like the error is because there is a difference between the 2 records currently.

3. val61

val61 LostCousins Member

Thank you Tim. But still puzzled. I don't know who the person is that is causing the problem. But thanks for advice.

4. val61

val61 LostCousins Member

Afternoon Everybody. Having failed to sync my trees Ancestry and FTM, I downloaded Ancestry to an external drive, this now shows that there is an error on Code E302. Line 487. Inconsistent line termination detected. Parent Record INDI 1280172462331 I have talked to Ancestry who could not help, kept sayng it must FTM, but as it is on the download from Ancestry, I feel it must be them. Can anybody help me understand this, I am not techie and this is way beyond my understanding. Many thanks Valerie.

5. Tim

Hi Valerie, if you think the Ancestry tree is causing the error, then upload the FTM tree as a new tree to Ancestry.

6. val61

val61 LostCousins Member

Afternoon Tim. Thanks for that I will try it. Heres hoping.

7. val61

val61 LostCousins Member

Afternoon Tim. No joy the same result. Cant sync. Does that mean the error is in FTM after all? I am so confused now. Valrie

8. Tim

You're not meant to be syncing, you're loading your FTM tree up to Ancestry as a new tree.

I think you have to unlink your tree first, and that allows you to upload your FTM tree but remember to give it a different name than the one that is already on Ancestry.

9. val61

val61 LostCousins Member

Thanks Tim. I have done it. I started a new tree on Ancestry with a different name, just in case. Next question (Sorry I am dim) Do I delete the old tree, leave it still there, but change its name.? I do want the old name on my new tree preferably. Alternative, know I know it works, is to do the same thing again onto the old tree and then delete the new one. (Peter knows why I am struggling at the present time) Regards and many thanks Valerie

10. val61

val61 LostCousins Member

Oh no. I have not done it. All went so well, I got excited and wrote to you before I had done another Sync. No good. So it must be in FTM after all. I will have to stop now, Think it through and start again when I get enough strength. So sorry. But I will keep trying. Regards Valerie

11. Tim

For now, I would leave the old tree there, you may want to refer to it. Do you know which tree was more up to date? The Ancestry or the FTM Tree?

Ok, is it giving the same error as before? The next step would be to download the old Ancestry Tree to FTM and giving it a new name. Then try and sync that one.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  12. val61

val61 LostCousins Member

I have downloaded new tree from Ancestry to FTM. They are in sync. So I will now use this tree and carry on. Thank you so much for all your help and patience. I am very grateful. Regards. Valerie Kelly.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1