1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Ancestry limiting DNA features unless you pay

Discussion in 'Comments on the latest newsletter' started by AlanB, Dec 25, 2023.

1. AlanB

AlanB LostCousins Member

I had seen rumours of this on a Facebook group that I belong to, but I haven't yet had any notification on my Ancestry account about it. I find it disappointing that Ancestry are clearly trying to make more money by doing this, but I would point out that, if you test with Myheritage and don't pay a subscription, you can only see one shared match for each of your matches, and you don't see the chromosome browser either. On the other hand, if you upload to MH from elsewhere you can get all those features by paying a one off fee, which seems a little unfair.

If, however, Ancestry make up for this change by introducing a proper chromosome browser rather than the "chromsome painter" that they currently have, I will forgive them ;-)

2. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

You'll only get a notification if you don't have an Ancestry membership.

The cost to Ancestry of maintaining their DNA database and updating it must be considerable - at the moment the whole of the cost has to be covered by the subscriptions paid by fewer than 15% of those who have tested.
    I think we have to assume that Ancestry have good reasons for not providing a chromosome browser. It could be the cost, it could be the impact on privacy, or it might be also be that they realise that giving such a tool to people who don't have the experience or the appropriate skillset could lead to errors which would undermine confidence in Ancestry DNA.

Even without a chromosome browser Ancestry generates results that, for the vast majority, far exceed those that they can get at other sites. See for example this quote from the blog of DNA guru Leah Larkin.

3. DavidF

DavidF LostCousins Star

My access to Ancestry DNA is through ancestry.com.au and I don't currently have a paid subscription.
    I am also seeing the warning.
    At present there is no mention of an AncestryDNA Plus membership in the subscription options.

4. John Dancy

John Dancy LostCousins Superstar

And the cost of adding all the extra data we use (Suffolk on the way, hopefully) People undertake DNA tests for a variety of reasons, a fair number not related to family history, so the features that are being removed would not be of interest to them.
    Maybe Ancestry should start offering a DNA testing package that includes a twelve month subscription.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 26, 2023
  5. peter

They sometimes offer a 3 month subscription for a nominal cost when a DNA test is purchased. It's not feasible to offer a 12 month subscription as the value of the subscription far exceeds the cost of the DNA test.

6. cfbandit

cfbandit LostCousins Member

So far the only things that really matter are the parental groupings, and unless you're really stuck and can't figure out how to identify your ancestors through other methods like Peter's masterclass, you really don't even need that. Its just a "nice to have".

So far a month or two subscription here and there has been fine for me, but I do have a lot of DNA matches already hooked up to my tree and already grouped by ancestor.

7. Kate

Kate LostCousins Member

If we have access to the Library edition at our local library or archives, does anyone know if we can see our DNA matches, shared matches etc there? I am not sure how much the changes at Ancestry will bother me. I have lots of recorded matches and I am busy using the genealogist website at the moment. I am surprised by the number of land records which are relevant to my extended family!

8. peter

No, the Library Edition doesn't have DNA or trees.

Perhaps you can tell us more about your experience with The Genealogist (in a different discussion) as some members might want to take advantage of the offer in the newsletter - it ends on Sunday.

9. DavidF

DavidF LostCousins Star

I've just connected to Ancestry Oz, checking for new Common Ancestors and I have a completely new page layout - presumably as a result of the warning notice.
    I now CANNOT access the previously available tree snippet OR the Common Ancestor of matches without an AncestryPlus membership for $7 / mth. This is a severe limitation.

10. peter

In the UK it's £14.99 for 6 months

upload_2024-2-6_9-11-39.png

11. DavidF

DavidF LostCousins Star

It's actually $39.99 for 6 months in Oz (I just rounded the numbers) which equates to about £21 - you're certainly getting as better deal.
    Without access to the tree and Common Ancestor it really restricts the usefulness without a membership.
    Also I can't seem to find ThruLines any more.

12. peter

Both UK & Australia are cheaper than the US - see my December article.

13. peter

This is an example of what someone without any membership sees (in this case the other person's tree is private but it makes little difference):

upload_2024-2-6_9-55-38.png

14. DavidF

DavidF LostCousins Star

It would have been nice if Ancestry had sent a message to all those that have done a DNA test but are not members letting them know what's happening - surely a marketing opportunity missed.

15. peter

There has been a message displayed for about 6 weeks.

16. Bryman

Bryman LostCousins Megastar

Isn't the action being taken by Ancestry a form of illegal Inertia Selling? It look like they are taking away the information that testers who are non-members have already purchased the right to access. I see no objection to an annual subscription being required from new purchasers who are duly informed but increasing the price after the deal has been completed should surely not be allowed.

17. cfbandit

cfbandit LostCousins Member

No, that would be moreso if one was signed up for an annual subscription and then being expected to pay for it. In this case, its like many of tech companies are doing, scaling back delivery to try to claw additional revenue.

When my current month runs out, I'll probably go for the DNA Plus. At least until the ProTools upgrade comes out - then I'll pay for a full subscription and ProTools to get access to the new upgrade and get the 64 color groupings. Very excited about that, I often have to cycle through colors when I'm working on different connections in my tree.