1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Can't remember why

Discussion in 'How I got started in Family History' started by Wendy White, Nov 5, 2023.

1. Wendy White

Wendy White New Member

I have just joined the forum after joining lost cousins in 2010! I really can't remember why I started looking at my family tree, but have dabbled on and off for many years.

I have mainly looked at the paternal side of the family. Up until my generation everyone on my maternal side were from Ireland and I believed that it was difficult to gain any information. I now know that's not true, but my mother is now tracing this side of the family so I'm not going to repeat the work she is doing.

The main surnames on my paternal side are: White, Bowron, Hammond and Russell and have been mainly concentrated in Lancashire, Warwickshire, Worcestershire and Northamptonshire. The main movement for all branches has been to Coventry and surrounding areas. Like many I have brick walls and rogue relatives.

I'm looking forward to catching up on all the posts and information in the forum.

2. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

Welcome to the forum!
    Everyone has 'brick walls', and the longer we research the more 'brick walls' we have (they're just a bit further back). That's why LostCousins exists - so that people who share the same 'brick walls' can collaborate in order to knock them down more quickly and with less effort, because otherwise we'd have to focus our limited resources on some ancestral lines at the expense of others.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1