1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Commonwealth War Graves in Ireland

Discussion in 'Ireland' started by BrianTunWells, Aug 26, 2015.

1. BrianTunWells

BrianTunWells LostCousins Member

I have been contacted by Tom Burnell of the St Mary's Famine History Museum in Thurles. Tom has taken it upon himself to ensure that all soldiers, who gave their lives in WW1 and are buried in one of the 26 counties of the Republic, are recognised with a Commonwealth Graves Commission marker at their place of interment.

He picked up an old blog of mine concerning the wounding and soon afterwards death at home of my wife's maternal grandfather and now, with the death registration I have provided, he is seeking to have a marker placed in Stickillen Cemetery near Ardee, Co. Louth.

If you know of a soldier's grave, which has not been identified by the GWGC, I feel sure Tom would like to hear from you. Write to museum-tom@hotmail.com

• Thanks! Thanks! x 3
  2. Britjan

Britjan LostCousins Star

Thanks Brian I hope you intend to also post your wife's maternal grandfather's "life" ( and any other you know of from WWI) to the Lives site .

3. BrianTunWells

BrianTunWells LostCousins Member

Thomas Denvir is in preparation. If you are interested, you'll find my maternal grandfather's biography, 526052 Private Frederick Charles Robinson RAMC, has already been posted

(If Peter is reading this, please note that the Forum has stopped recognising my newly notified address - email address removed- and has reverted to the old one)

Tim: Please don't put personal email addresses in posts as these could be harvested, please only use PM's which are secure.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 28, 2015
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  4. Britjan

Britjan LostCousins Star

Well done Brian, your posting was a perfect example of not actually much in the way of external links/images but simply adding information as stories. Anyone thinking of posting can use a similar format without linking to FMP records. You will note that it was only the medal record card in this case that was posted by IWM which makes identification a bit more tricky.

For the benefit of others I'll go into a bit more detail about posting at Lives..... "lessons" I've learned by trial and error, and with a lot of on-line advice.

1. In sharing with others it helps to link to the life story # so I've taken the liberty of linking it here. The number Brian used was a service # which can cause occasionally cause confusion while the life story # is unique.
    2. I suggest pressing the "remember icon" when a story is set up or in progress, that way "your" person is officially remembered. My personal preference is to "remember" and post a story as soon as I am certain of the person's identity. So you learn from my mistakes it's important to check that the officially posted information matches as IWM can make errors too. Generally it's only an attestation paper or medal record that forms the "seed" information used to create the life. Then I come back as I have time or something occurs to me, and since I am helping to bring strangers to "life" on line I find this is a good strategy.
    3. Several of us on the forum have started to "remember" each others entries where we have formed a connection via the forum so I have done this as well for the referenced entry.
    3. I was particularly interested in Private Robinson's story because my father drove ambulances in London during WWII. It's possible that another poster may also be interested in the arenas or units your grandfather served in and may even start a community.
    4. Adding an image in the spot beside the name is the final touch that adds something personal the poster feels can be shared.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 2