1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Desertion/AWOL

Discussion in 'Comments on the latest newsletter' started by Stuart, Sep 14, 2023.

1. Stuart

Stuart LostCousins Member

I was puzzled by what looks like"run" in that navy service sheet (Newsletter – 14th September 2023). I found this in one of those ex-service forums:
    The closest I've found to 1920 is the Kings Regulations & Admiralty Instructions - 1913. This is a short quote (there's a lot more):
    So that "run" was administrative: to do with being discharged off the books of his ship (but not I think from the Navy). The maximum summary penalty for desertion was only 3 months detention. That seems low, but more serious cases were dealt with by court-martial, and that's covered by different regulations.

Currently: "Desertion carries a maximum sentence of imprisonment for life where the intention was to
    avoid active service. Otherwise the maximum sentence is 2 years imprisonment."

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  2. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

Thanks, Stuart - that's very helpful.

Whatever the penalty was, George Carr was prepared to impersonate his cousin in order to avoid being caught, and maintained the pretence for over a quarter of a century - indeed, when I knew him the NHS still had him recorded under his cousin's identity, so that's over half a century

3. Stuart

Stuart LostCousins Member

The current definition of desertion is:
    In 1920, that distinction may not have been the same; I can't find that defined. But I'm sure that avoiding active service was an important factor in the seriousness of the offence. I think HMS King George V was a real floating ship, unlike Victory II (which was at Crystal Palace). But it doesn't seem likely he was on active service at the time, nor that he knew that was imminent.

4. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

You will have noticed that in the newsletter I didn't accuse my neighbour of desertion. But whatever the consequences of his actions, George Carr was clearly prepared to go to great lengths to avoid them.