1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Drawing simple family trees

Discussion in 'Utilities to download' started by Gillian, Mar 30, 2015.

1. Gillian

Gillian LostCousins Star

I may be asking this in the wrong place. If so, perhaps one of the moderators could move it. But, please, could some kind soul tell me how I can draw a skeleton family tree. It's for an article I've written for a family history journal and basically all I want is six generations with max three people (usually only one or two) in each generation. I need the diagram because the same name is repeated generation after generation and people reading the article - hoping someone will - are going to get confused.

2. Bryman

Bryman LostCousins Megastar

Gillian, your Family History software is probably the simplest place to try first. I use GenoPro which produces particularly clear charts which are very easy to rearrange and resize but I am sure that all packages will do a reasonable job.

Alternatively, before I had any FHS, I drew charts using Excel, which were easy to create and print/send to relatives. I reduced the cell size and drew thick boarders round blocks of cells to represent each family member with similar lines connecting them. A bit labour intensive at first with plenty of trial and error but relatively simple to do and amend. I can probably find some examples if you would like more details.

3. Gillian

Gillian LostCousins Star

Thanks a lot Bryman for replying so soon. You're right of course. Legacy, which I use, has a lot of charts but they're all more complex than I want. What I want is a skeleton job that leaves out most of the people. I simply want to be able to put little vertical lines leading from my 6xgreat-grandfather to two sons, and from one of them (5xgreat grandfather) to daughter and son, and from daughter (4xgreat grandmother) to son (3xgreat grandfather), and from him to daughter and two sons, and from daughter (great-grandaunt) to son (1 cousin 3xremoved), and from him to daughter (2 c 2xremoved). Do you see what I mean? I did a google search before remembering that Lost Cousins would have the best answers, but nothing seemed to have anything as simple as I wanted. I don't want boxes or anything like that - simply lines going from one generation to the next.

4. Gillian

Gillian LostCousins Star

Sorry, Bryman, I'm being thick, but it's late here in Finland and I should be heading for bed. I now realise Genopro is your genealogy software so I won't be looking at that.

5. Bryman

Bryman LostCousins Megastar

You don't have to put boxes round each family member. That would be completely up to you. I just used Excel to achieve desired spacing and alignment with easy drawing of lines between cells. So much better than trying to use something like Word, which I have seen other people use.

6. emjay

emjay LostCousins Member

Have you tried pencil and paper ? Then scan.

7. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

Why not? You can download a free trial.

I use Genopro to produce example trees for my newsletter - it'a quick and easy. And very flexible.

8. Gillian

Gillian LostCousins Star

Many thanks to everybody. I'd thought of doing what emjay suggests - pencil and paper plus scan, but thought it might not look professional enough!! I'll also take a look at Genopro - the words 'quick, easy and flexible' are just what I'm after, though in that respect, pencil plus rubber (eraser) and ruler might be as good. I'll try both and also Excel and see what happens. One of my friends here uses Word but warned it's very complicated - as confirmed by Bryman. So I won't even look at that. I'll let you know how I get on.

9. Bob Spiers

Bob Spiers LostCousins Superstar

Gillian I have been using simple one-generational Genopro charts throughout my on-going Family History story to bring to life what text alone is not able to do. It certainly meets the criteria of 'quick, easy & flexible' especially for the drawing of charts and the customising tools are second to none (removing/adding lines and text, etc). I personally do not use Genopro as a Database - although many do - but for the purpose of schematic charts it has few equals (that I know of anyway).

• Useful Useful x 1
  10. Gillian

Gillian LostCousins Star

Bob, for some strange reason, I was waiting for your reply. I was wondering why you hadn't added your ha'penny worth (an expression I learnt from you, by the way) and decided you must be on holiday! Seriously, though, thank you very much - I'll definitely give Genopro a try later today.

11. Bob Spiers

Its funny you should notice the absence of my usual ha'penny worth (some would say - but clearly not you of course -that it normally amounted to tu'ppence) but it was not just my absence. Indeed I was about to ask if "Everyone has gone to the Moon":) as there has been very few posts of late?

I knew about 'Genealogy in the Sunshine' of course and no doubt that played its part, but for the Forum suddenly to dry up was unusual. I have been otherwise occupied for the most past continuing with my Family History story (hence using Genopro), only looking in at odd moments to keep abreast of things, but found nothing to keep abreast of? (Excuse poor grammar).

I was also absorbed with Microsoft attempting to get my wife's laptop re-validated (which gave me opportunity for a post - which see) ...and then - welcome relief - a question from you and everything came back to life. The excursion to the Moon appears to be over if those who have responded are anything to go by. Good luck with Genopro anyway and it has a Finnish language option if you need it.

12. Gillian

Gillian LostCousins Star

Well, that's done. I made exactly the simple tree I wanted and have sent it to the editor of the journal (North West Kent Family History Society). Now, fingers crossed, that she can use it OK. Once again, many thanks to everyone. :)

• Good tip Good tip x 1
  13. Gillian

Gillian LostCousins Star

Oh gosh, another reply following hot on my previous one. It's just that I didn't spot Bob's second reply till I'd replied to his first one. See? To my intense dismay, Genopro came up automatically with the Finnish version; it's certainly not something I'd have wanted as I'm not comfortable with computerese in Finnish (as if I were comfortable with it in English either, come to that, but it does sound a bit more like something from this planet). I tried, unsuccessfully, to change the language and then decided to go ahead and be brave. It worked fine.
    I, too, had noticed the strange silence hanging over our forum and put it down to the sunshine in Spain. Like Bob, I've been busy with family history; hence need for tree. I have a really good story that I'll put on one of the forums one day. Alternatively you (anyone, that is) will be able to read it in the next issue of the above journal.

14. Gillian

Gillian LostCousins Star

I've never written three replies in a row before but I have to tell Bob that his message quoted above had gone into ............... oh dear ................. my junk box!!!!!! :rolleyes: :oops: :(

15. emjay

emjay LostCousins Member

Going off this conversation, I think I'll have a look at Genopro :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Bob Spiers

It seems the Genpro download must have auto-recognised the country of origin. Once up and running you can change the default language by clicking on Language (Kieli in Finnish) on the Toolbar and selecting English (EN). Alternatively CTRL+SHIFT+A acts as an automatic selection of English regardless as to the default language chosen.

17. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

If anyone decides to buy Genopro you can get a 10% discount here. But do try it out first - whilst I can't imagine switching to another program (I've been using it since 2002), it's not for everyone.

18. Gillian

Gillian LostCousins Star

Thanks Bob; that's done. And thanks Peter. I'd noticed the 10% discount and will think about taking it up.

19. Margery

Margery LostCousins Member

I wondered, also, but thought that everyone was revelling in the Portugese sun and too busy to post any messages. Looking forward to your really good story, Gillian.:)

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  20. Tim

Tim Megastar and Moderator Staff Member

You didn't actually say what method you used in the end?