1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Unusual forenames

Discussion in 'Comments on the latest newsletter' started by Susan48, Nov 17, 2023.

1. Susan48

Susan48 LostCousins Superstar

I recently came across the girl's forename Lesbia in the 1901 census. The child was born in 1896 to a couple living in Layer-de-la-Haye, Essex. An older girl was named Aline, and a younger brother was more prosaically named William Henry. The father was a corn miller and the mother (my blood relative) came from a family of agricultural labourers. The name was unusual at the time - only 18 instances came up for 1901 on Findmypast, and 10 of them were variations on the name. So I ask myself - what led a couple from a humble background to choose such a name? I wonder if they were aware of its classical connotations, and where they'd come across it before.

2. Stuart

Stuart LostCousins Member

Both Aline and Lesbia are found listed among the names of ships in the 1800s, and they also appear as characters in fiction. So they are part of that large group of names that are known, but rarely used as given names. It's hard to say how common either was. Aline got a bit of a boost in popularity in 1877 as one of the main characters in The Sorcerer, Gilbert & Sullivan's first full-length opera. Lesbia also gets more hits in newspapers the 1880s, including on stage, though I don't think any of those pieces is well known now (e.g. has anyone heard of Lesbia, a classical comedy, by Richard Davey?).

• Thanks! Thanks! x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Susan48

Susan48 LostCousins Superstar

No, I haven't, and neither the play nor the author merits a mention in The Oxford companion to English literature (ed. Margaret Drabble, 1985). But many thanks for the information.

4. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

See Wikipedia for more information about the play.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1