1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

When someone dies

Discussion in 'Digital records' started by Alexander Bisset, Aug 4, 2014.

1. Alexander Bisset

Alexander Bisset Administrator Staff Member

What protocol do people use when someone in their tree dies, ie: they were living when you added them to your tree but you become aware that they died.

Do you update the info as soon as you find out? Do you wait a while? I'm guessing it might vary with how close the person was to you but I was curious how other people deal with recording a death of someone in their tree.

2. Tim

Tim Megastar and Moderator Staff Member

I do mine straight away. There's a lot of details from the order of service that I add, the church etc.

As my tree isn't public, there is therefore a lot of privacy maintained.

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. Bryman

Bryman LostCousins Megastar

Not just recording of death. If not done immediately, it tends to get postponed/ignored/forgotten. Always assuming that the subject person is recognised as being in one's tree, of course.

A little difficult to include oneself unless the final event is updated each day. :rolleyes:

4. Liberty

Liberty LostCousins Megastar

I would update straight away. I t would seem courteous to have up to date, accurate information , and I can't see any argument for holding back in recording the death. Even on a public tree, it's hardly the equivalent of tweeting or posting on facebook, or whatever it is the young people do these days.

• Agree Agree x 2