1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Historic Newspapers on Trove

Discussion in 'Australia - More resources' started by Margery, Mar 18, 2013.

1. Margery

Margery LostCousins Member

Trove, the National Library of Australia online site is a wonderful resource for searching historic documents such as newspapers, archives, music, maps, etc. Anyone with early Australians in their family will find this site very worthwhile and interesting.

• Agree Agree x 10
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  2. MarionK

MarionK Moderator Staff Member

Absolutely agree. This is the Australian version of the British Newspaper Archive, except it's FREE to use

3. Liberty

Liberty LostCousins Megastar

Yes, and you can make corrections to the transcription which I found very satisfying (shows the sort of mentality I have)

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Siobhan

Siobhan LostCousins Member

Once you have signed up you can save your find to either a personal or public list - creating categories to organise what you have found.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Cathy

Cathy Moderator Staff Member

Note that the newspapers date from very early to around 1960.

6. FamilyHistoryGal

FamilyHistoryGal LostCousins Member

Best Australian search site ever! Especially handy for funerals, obituaries and weddings. Totally free! Lost count of how much useful info I've found on here.

7. AndyMick

AndyMick LostCousins Star

Not just Australian stuff too. Early newspapers reprinted stuff from around the world, so some UK news is often included.

8. FamilyHistoryGal

FamilyHistoryGal LostCousins Member

True, but British Newspapers on FMP would probably be my first call rather than Trove (for the UK). Trove definitely first for Australia though.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Tim

Tim Megastar and Moderator Staff Member

It's definitely a great site.

10. SuzanneD

SuzanneD LostCousins Star

I've definitely found UK-based stories in both Trove and its New Zealand equivalent (PapersPast, also free to access) that haven't shown up in British Newspapers on FMP. This may be because of the somewhat hit-and-miss nature of scanning and OCR-ing such old and damaged sources - something that might have got completely garbled in the scanning process for one site may have scanned more accurately at another.
    [OCR = optical character recognition: the software that is used to 'read' and translate scanned images into searchable text files]

11. emjay

emjay LostCousins Member

Thanks SuzanneD for explaining OCR. Not all of us are good with acronyms, they slow me down a lot when reading a post:(. Perhaps there should be a glossary on the forum, especially for newbies o_O

• Agree Agree x 1