1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

How You can Help Yourself to Taste Success!

Discussion in 'How to decide who to enter' started by Red Dragon, May 10, 2013.

1. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

There will probably be a reduction in membership numbers over the coming weeks as accounts are closed for members who have never entered any data and have chosen to permanently unsubscribe from the newsletters. It won't, of course, affect the chances of other members finding their 'lost cousins'.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 2
  2. Red Dragon

Red Dragon LostCousins Megastar

Hi Everyone!

Here's a weekly update on how well people have been doing over at LostCousins.
    • 7 New Members joined the LostCousins site
    • 821 New Entries have been added and,
    • 40 Relatives have been matched.
    Always good to see New Members joining. Only New Members up this week, but this happens after a competition.
    New Members mean New Entries, and New Entries mean New Matches. Everyone wins.

Thanks Peter for the warning.

Good Luck Everyone!

Here's a graph showing the activity over at the Lost Cousins site
    upload_2024-3-1_10-5-15.png

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  3. Red Dragon

Hi Everyone!

• 1 New Members joined the LostCousins site
    • 967 New Entries have been added and,
    • 98 Relatives have been matched.
    Always good to see New Members joining. Only New Members down this week, and Peter did warn us that this might happen.
    The ratio of New Entries added to Relatives Matched was 9.87, every 10th person added made a match.

Good Luck Everyone!

upload_2024-3-8_9-58-31.png

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  4. Red Dragon

Hi Everyone!

• 2 New Members joined the LostCousins site
    • 2,286 New Entries have been added and,
    • 73 Relatives have been matched.
    Always good to see New Members joining. Only Relatives Matched down this week, and a lot of New Entries!

Good Luck Everyone!

upload_2024-3-15_11-32-12.png

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  5. Red Dragon

Hi Everyone!

• -31 New Members joined the LostCousins site
    • 1,065 New Entries have been added and,
    • -7 Relatives have been matched.
    Always good to see New Members joining. Well I want to assume we had some new members join while Peter tidies up non active members.

Good Luck Everyone!

upload_2024-3-22_9-52-7.png

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  6. peter

Yes, about 50 unused accounts were closed this week.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  7. Red Dragon

Hi Everyone!

• 0 New Members joined the LostCousins site
    • 664 New Entries have been added and,
    • 33 Relatives have been matched.
    Always good to see New Members joining. Well I want to assume we had some new members join while Peter tidies up non active members. At least there are no negatives this week.

Good Luck Everyone!

upload_2024-3-29_10-29-54.png

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  8. peter

Yes, another dozen closures this week - inactive, unused, or simply duplications.

9. canadianbeth

canadianbeth LostCousins Star

Between January 2023 and December 2023 I added 63 names. Between December 2023 and now I have added 44 more, for a total of 107 in the last 15 months. A few matches in 2023, the latest in May. Since 2016 I have six actual cousins matched. I guess my cousins are not all that interested in family history, at least the maternal ones.

10. peter

Interest in family history doesn't necessarily translate into interest in collaborating with cousins - for example, although there are well over 2000 members of this forum, only 91 have achieved the status of Star or higher.

I do my best to remind members of the importance of connecting with experienced researchers who are researching the same ancestors through my talks, and through the newsletters - but it would help enormously if forum members could do the same.

11. peter

I have closed 118 unused, duplicate, or dormant accounts since last Friday, so the reported number of users will definitely be down this week.

12. Red Dragon

Hi Everyone!

• -87 New Members joined the LostCousins site
    • 1507 New Entries have been added and,
    • 22 Relatives have been matched.
    Thanks for the update Peter.
    Always good to see New Members joining. Since Peter has closed 118 accounts since last week, that means that we actually had 31 new members join. New Entries were up but I'm sure Easter has affected the numbers.

Good Luck Everyone!

upload_2024-4-5_9-51-10.png

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  13. Red Dragon

Hi Everyone!

• -1 New Members joined the LostCousins site
    • 747 New Entries have been added and,
    • 27 Relatives have been matched.
    Always good to see New Members joining. Peter is still closing dormant accounts so I'm not able to say how many new accounts were opened.

Good Luck Everyone!

upload_2024-4-12_10-7-0.png

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  14. peter

There were 16 unused accounts closed (plus a couple of duplicates).

15. Red Dragon

Hi Everyone!

• -42 New Members joined the LostCousins site
    • 459 New Entries have been added and,
    • -5 Relatives have been matched.
    Always good to see New Members joining. Peter is still closing dormant accounts so I'm not able to say how many new accounts were opened. And I guess someone closed an account.

Good Luck Everyone!

upload_2024-4-19_9-55-9.png

16. peter

About 50 unused or duplicate accounts closed since last Friday. More to come in future weeks - there is a limit to how much time I can spend on housekeeping!

No other accounts closed, but closing duplicate accounts can result in matches disappearing (if they were never real matches in the first place).

17. peter

About 75 unused or duplicate accounts closed since last Friday.

18. Red Dragon

Hi Everyone!

• -69 New Members joined the LostCousins site
    • 1060 New Entries have been added and,
    • -38 Relatives have been matched.
    Thanks for the update Peter. That would give us about an increase of 6 New Members joining.
    Always good to see New Members joining. Peter is still closing dormant and duplicate accounts so the numbers don't reflect all the good work that members are doing.

Good Luck Everyone!

upload_2024-4-26_9-55-11.png

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1