1. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

2. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  3. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  4. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Lost Cousins Website won't load

Discussion in 'Any questions?' started by Frankie66, May 1, 2024.

1. Frankie66

Frankie66 LostCousins Member

I've occasionally had this issue, but left it 24 hours and it seemed to fix itself. Recently I have been unable to get the website to load at all - tried refreshing, closing brower, using different browsers (Chrome/Edge/Firefox) with no success.

Any ideas?

2. Tim

Tim Megastar and Moderator Staff Member

At what time were you trying and what timezone are you in? The server does a backup so you maybe trying at this time?

3. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

Judging from the time of the original post I think you are spot on. The time of the backup (1am to 2am) is given in every newsletter email, but I appreciate it's not as obvious for those in different time zones.

There was a time when the FamilySearch site was frequently unavailable in the morning in the UK, but they seem to have found away round that.

4. Frankie66

Thank you both! I'm AST, 4 hours behind GMT. I am almost always trying between 9pm and 10pm our time - exactly the backup time (which is when I finally get to my family history after the day's work). 9.13 pm here. I'll have to try in my lunch breaks! :)

5. peter

Except that we're not on GMT at the moment, so there's a 5 hour difference.

6. Frankie66

I always forget which is standard and which is daylight - yes we are currently ADT, Atlantic Daylight time!

7. Bryman

Bryman LostCousins Megastar

It is very easy for people living in one time zone to make a mistake about the current time in other zones so I would strongly suggest that all LC members living outside of UK use the built-in World Clock display within the Clock application in Windows to indicate what the time is in UK. That could avoid similar problems arising for other members.

Also not all time zones change to and from Daylight Saving at the same time so the time difference between zones is not always constant for many members throughout the year. Even some regions close to the Equator (such as Queensland, Australia) do not adjust clocks for daylight saving so residents are not necessarily prompted to expect time variations in other areas.

Sometimes I am locked out of the LC site for a similar reason but a quick check of the current UK time advises me that it is time to have lunch.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Frankie66

So true - and it does seem that it is the back up time - I leapt on LC around 8.30 pm ADT time, and it worked fine! (12.30 pm UK time). Thank you everyone! :)

9. peter

I think you mean 12.30am!

10. Frankie66

Ha ha, you are of course right - half the time I don't know what day it is let alone time.

11. peter

I don't always know what day of the week it is because Windows only shows the date. It's not as if there isn't room:

upload_2024-5-5_11-52-58.png

12. Pauline

Pauline LostCousins Megastar

Mine shows the day if I hover over it, and changes the date format to 05 May 2024, but the 'hover view' excludes the time. Apparently it is Sunday today!

13. peter

If I hover over the date it changes format, as for Pauline, but it doesn't show the day of the week by default.

However if I go to Windows Settings, Time & Language, Language & Region, Region, Regional format I can change the date formatting to include the day of the week (for mouse-over only) and change the time formatting to including AM/PM.
    upload_2024-5-5_13-17-35.png

• Good tip Good tip x 1
  14. Susan48

Susan48 LostCousins Superstar

My MacBook gives Sun 5 May 17:51. Not worth paying the Apple premium for, perhaps, but useful all the same ;)